Regain control of your body to alleviate pain, improve posture and performance.
Balanced body – balanced mind
The Alexander Technique helps millions of people across the world to naturally overcome:
- Muscle tension and stiffness
- Back, neck and joint pain
- Poor posture
- Breathing and vocal problems
- Anxiety and stress-related conditions
People use the Technique to:
- Improve performance and prevent injury in music, drama and sport
- Enhance business and presentation skills
- Develop ease and elegance in movement
- Support pregnancy and childbirth
…. or simply because they want to change conditions that stop them enjoying a happy, healthy life.
How will the Technique help me?
The Technique works by helping you to identify and prevent the harmful postural habits that may be the cause of stress and pain.
You will learn to release tension and rediscover balance of mind and body. With an increased awareness you can:
- Be poised, without stiffness
- Move gracefully, with less effort
- Be alert and focussed, with less strain
- Breathe and speak more easily
- Be calm and confident
Better health and positive wellbeing
Learning to use yourself better with poised natural body alignment will help improve overall functioning and wellbeing.
The Technique is a powerful tool for personal development, self-awareness and learning new skills.
It can add a new dimension of creativity to your life and lead to on-going self-discovery.
You can improve how you move, perform, look and feel.
Pregnancy and childbirth
The principles of the Alexander Technique applied to the changes and adaptations that a mother must make during pregnancy, through childbirth and into caring for her new baby can help her:
- Cope with the weight of the growing baby
- Learn movements and positions to facilitate and ease natural labour
- Avoid pregnancy complaints such as backache, breathlessness and tiredness
- Recover the body and herself after childbirth.
A history of helping people
F M Alexander, an Australian actor, developed the Technique over 100 years ago as a result of solving a persistent vocal problem. His technique helped not only performing artists, but indeed anyone with physical, mental or emotional conditions resulting from ingrained habits.
Preston Alexander Teacher Richard Marsden is a member of The Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique (STAT) was founded in the UK in 1958. Teaching members (MSTAT):
- Are certified to teach the Technique after successfully completing a three-year, full-time training course approved by the Society or an affiliated society.
- Adhere to the Society’s published Code of Professional Conduct and hold professional indemnity insurance.
Back pain – facts
Approximately 75% of adults in the UK suffer one or more bouts of lower back pain in their life.
2.5 million people have back pain every day of the year…the cost to the NHS, business and the economy is an estimated £5 billion per year.
(BackCare – The Charity for Healthier Backs)
If you want some help from an Alexander Teacher in Preston, please call Back-in-Action now to make an appointment.
From the Preston Chiropractor Team
Getting You Back in Action & Enjoying Your Life Again
Serving the people of Preston and surrounding areas including Southport and Lytham St Annes