Why We Collect Your Personal Data and What We Do With It
Your personal details are stored and processed for four reasons (noted in inverted commas below) under the Data Protection Act 2018, which includes the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR):
- Your requesting treatment and our agreement to provide that care constitutes a “Contract”. We need to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment.
- We have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting that information because without it we could not perform our duties under the Contract effectively and safely.
- We also have a “Legitimate Interest” in being able to contact you to confirm your appointments with us or to update you on matters related to your health care.
- If we have your “Consent” we may occasionally send you general health information in the form of articles, advice or newsletters. You may withdraw your consent at any time – just let us know in writing or by email.
We have a Legal Obligation under The Chiropractors Act 1994 to retain your records for eight years after your most recent appointment (or age 25 if this is longer). After this period you can ask us to delete your records if you wish. If not we will retain your records indefinitely in order that we can provide you with the best possible care should you need to see us at some future date.
We will never pass your personal information to third parties without prior notice and written consent from you save for the rare circumstance when your data is requested by a government agency in relation to for example, a crime or for reasons of national security.
Confidential patient information is only accessible to staff at this Clinic with a direct and appropriate need to do so i.e.:
- Your Practitioner/s or Therapist/s in order that they can provide you with treatment
- Our Reception staff, because they organize our Practitioners’ and Therapists’ Diaries, prepare patient files and coordinate appointments and reminders
- Our Administrative staff such as our Bookkeeper and Data Base staff
A record of Receipts and Payments for Services and Products supplied is maintained in the Clinic Software.
We do not collect any Credit or Debit Card information as this is processed via EVO Payment International’s secure payment service. However, in accordance with Finance Industry Practice we are required to keep a copy of the paper Card Receipt (which contains part of your Card number) for two years from the date of the transaction after which it is securely destroyed.
Registration Forms and Manual Notes made by Mrs Pat Dix, Mrs Claire Hooson and Mr Richard Marsden are retained by them. All other Registration Forms are stored in the Clinic and most of the information thereon is entered in the Clinic Software and are the responsibility of Back In Action Chiropractic Limited. Likewise with the details of those who have requested Articles & Newsletters by email or via the Website.
Manual Notes made by our Doctors of Chiropractic and the Therapists, excluding the three mentioned above, are currently kept in Patient files but will, in time, be scanned into the Clinic Software.
Paper records are kept in locked filing cabinets or offices. Computers are password-protected, backed up regularly and the building is alarmed out of working hours.
The Clinic Software is backed up daily to our Software Supplier (Data Processor) who uses third–party Hosting Companies.
We keep lists of Email Addresses and the corresponding First Name in the Website Software which is maintained by another of our Data Processors. In the event of a request to Unsubscribe an email address or an address fails (the message “bounces”) the address is deleted from the Current List.
Request for Data Held
In accordance with the Data Protection Act (1988) a patient may request a copy of their patient record at anytime and expect this to be supplied within a reasonable time frame. In accordance with the law, a commensurate charge maybe levied.
We want to make sure that the information we hold about you is correct and up-to-date. Therefore, if you believe the information we have for you is inaccurate, you can ask us to correct or remove it (subject to the legal requirements mentioned above). Please either write to us at 28 Cop Lane, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0SR or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to do so.
If you are not satisfied with our response you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Copyright © 2018 Back in Action Chiropractic Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
From the Preston Chiropractor Team
Getting You Back in Action & Enjoying Your Life Again
Serving the people of Preston and surrounding areas including Southport and Lytham St Annes